Marriott Marquis Officially Opens - June 10th 2014 - Part Two

I don't usually cut an article in two parts, but the official opening of the Marriott Marquis DC is a very big happening in DC and I felt better covering it in two parts, so I could include a bit more than I would normally. So in Part One, I covered the speeches and dedication of the plaque honoring J.W.Marriott, Jr.  In Part Two I am continuing the morning events (with the multiple ribbon cuttings) the toast  and finally the evening celebrations.
First up, the ribbon cutting;
The Marriott Family does the honors
The 'interested' parties (Marriott, District, Events DC, Capstone and Quadrangle)
The District Government
So three ribbon cuttings....following this "The Toast" given by David Marriott, COO Eastern Americas, Marriott International. The toast was made with Root Beer - in deference to the first Marriott business - a root beer stand on 9th Street NW...a remarkable history of success.
 
Picture Property of Laura Davidson Public Relations                                                                       David Marriott raises a glass



 


Picture Property of Laura Davidson Public Relations                                                                                                   Mrs Donna Marriott, J.W.Marriott, Jr. Norm Jenkins and Mayor Vincent Gray
....and then....Balloons!!!!!!
What's Up?
This signaled the end of the dedication and ribbon cutting, but of course there was more interviews and 'networking' to be done
Well, that went well didn't it!
The final piece....the evening reception. The Marriott Marquis provided an exceptional (and well earned) evening feast of food and fun, with a definite DC tone. Each area of the Ballroom given a District designation, each with its own food service, bar and seating to resemble the area. A DJ high above the crowd provided the music, and scattered around the Ballroom different locally produced art that represented the city.....Bravo Marriott.
Multimedia walls fill in the information you need about the Marriott Marquis
Yup hashtag #MARQUISDC
Lots of people, lots of food and drink
The Capitol Hill neighborhood
Yeah!!   Shaw   (I know shameless plug for my hood)
High above the crowds the DJ rocked all night
Bringing DC Street Art inside
Its dark, time to go home
I know this has been a long post...but I would like to add just a few personal words;
I have followed the construction of The Marriott Marquis DC, since before ground breaking. I have taken, quite literally, thousands of photographs, and published an awful lot of articles. The Marquis is no longer 'plywood' so I probably will not be writing about this wonderful structure much anymore.

I would really like to thank the following folks for there help and assistance, there willingness to let me roam the site and publish what I found;

Norm Jenkins, CEO Capstone - who got the ball rolling
James Harper and the team at Hensel Phelps  - for those fantastic construction pics
Michaelann Millrood, Jessica Foreman and Laura Davidson Public Relations - who kept the ball rolling once the major construction was done
Bill Wallace (Director of Sales and Marketing) at the Marriott Marquis - for some funny video's during construction and enormous help as the hotel reached its near opening.

Thank you all for letting me chronicle your journey.

Comments